Friday 29 October 2010

Me No Speak Americano...

I have been reading a Sherlock Holmes novel as my light relief while I am here and it feels a somewhat ironic choice of book to bring with me to the States. The Olde English language seems so out of context but is keeping me firmly rooted in British vocabulary. So here is a brief update on the English words and phrases that just don't translate here...
  • Brolly  (as someone pointed out...why isn’t it brelly!!?)
  • Wellies (sensibly named ‘rain boots’ here)
  • Blank (as in to ignore someone)
  • Boot/sidewalk/torch/petrol/postman – you know those already!
  • Jelly (is jam here)
  • Tea (is only recognised in a liquid form here and certainly not as an   alternative      to the word 'dinner')
  • Dodgy  (sensibile alternative: 'sketchy')
  • Posh (making it very difficult to explain my nickname of ‘Dame’)
  • Clingfilm (sensibly named plastic wrap here)
  •  Half seven (digital time ONLY – it just confuses people otherwise!)
  •  'How did you find the...dessert/church meeting etc) - leads to an answer               containing directions!
  • Brilliant! (as in ‘ i really like it’)
  •  Rubbish!  (as  in ‘i really don’t like it’)
  • Queue
  • Trolley
Somewhat ambiguous to the British mind..
I have been likened to 'Fancy Nancy' a character from a children's novel here by a new friend (aged 7) - obviously I love that comparison! Another nickname I was given was 'proper'. I also have several roomates who frequently speak to me in British accents (usually not meaning to) and who are complaining that my British words are getting stuck in their heads. I am trying hard to get them to speak more like the Queen and less like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins ( I realised recently that 'My Fair Lady' is to blame for this). I have a feeling we are all going to emerge from our house next year with a mixture of American/Biritsh/Swedish/Finnish/Swiss/Norwegian accents.  What will the children at school make of that when I return!?

Sums it up perfectly

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!!!!!!! All new words I will be bringing home, before you know it all these words will be used regularly in America! : )

    ReplyDelete